MPS Strike – Resources for Scholars
If Minneapolis Public Schools teachers strike on March 8th, 2022, several organizations have offered daycare, meals, and/or programming to affected scholars. Please verify with the site to see current availability.
The Minneapolis Boys and Girls Club will have programming and meals for scholars:
Jerry Gamble Club
2410 N. Irving Ave.
Minneapolis, MN 55411
- K-12 are welcome
- 9 – 9:30 a.m. drop off. Scholars must be picked up before 6 p.m.
- All applicants must fill out a membership application
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks will be provided
Please sign your child(ren) up prior to Tuesday, March 8, 2022 (when the educators are scheduled to go on strike). This way they can make sure your child(ren) are put into their appropriate grade-level classes. A $5 one-time registration fee may apply. For more information, click here.
YMCA of the NORTH is available to all families across Hennepin County for children kindergarten through grade 6; registration is required and can be completed online or in-person at the time of child drop off at the identified site.
Harold Meziel North Community YMCA
1711 West Broadway Ave.
Minneapolis, MN 55411
IMPORTANT: The option to register for “Release Day Care” will be available on the website only when there is confirmation that the strike will happen. For NAZ families, the code is “NAZ” for applying online or in person. Here’s the information ONLY for NAZ-enrolled Families and ONLY if the teachers go on strike:
1. Choose “Release Day Care” and register. Follow the steps to create your Y account if you/your family has not used Y programs in the past.
2. Once you have programs in your shopping cart, click Checkout.
3. At the Checkout, enter “NAZ” in the Add Coupon or Promo Code field and click Apply. You will then see a Total Due of $0.00.
4. Enter your credit card or debit card in the Payment fields. Your credit card or debit card will not be charged if you enter “NAZ” in the Add Coupon or Promo Code field and see $0.00 due.
Click “Complete Checkout.” You should see a Thank You order confirmation page with your order number on the screen. After you have registered online, you will receive a confirmation email from the YMCA with additional information for your upcoming camp.
Contact the YMCA directly if you have questions about the program or any part of the registration process.
Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB)
In response to the potential MPS strike, MPRB will offer expanded recreation services at ten hubs throughout the city. Hub sites offer FREE, fun, engaging and structured activities for up to 45 students per hub site in grades K-8 from 12 to 3 p.m. at selected recreation centers from Monday to Friday. In-person registration is available, and online registration can be found at minneapolisparks.org. Please note that programs will be tailored as we adjust to meet the needs of those who show up for services.
To register and for more information, click the link below.
Additional resources can be found here.
Note: This list was not compiled or verified by the Northside Achievement Zone.